Payroll is among QuickBooks’ most important functions, and it’s especially essential for small and medium enterprises. By automating multi or monthly payments or depositing employees’ wages straight into their bank accounts, it saves a significant amount of time. QuickBooks Payroll also handles state and federal tax filings, as well as keeping past information digitally safe.
The main reason for the QuickBooks payroll update problem is a lack of admin privileges and firewall limitations on the QuickBooks auto-update. We’ve gone through the reasons behind QuickBooks Desktop problem 15106 and how to fix it in depth further in this post, so read it all the way to the conclusion for more information.
Error 15106: What is it?
The Desktop Installation is a software program that assists in the installation and uninstallation of programs as well as their updates on the Windows operating system, and when the installer becomes broken or corrupted, certain apps begin to throw issues throughout the update process.
This very same situation happens with QuickBooks when the Windows Installer becomes damaged or defective, resulting in an error 15106 when the user attempts to install or update the payroll.
If you’ve run into QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106, you’ll need to take all required actions to fix the installer and uninstall any third-party apps that are causing it to malfunction.
What are the symptoms of Error 15106?
There can be a few reasons behind the Quickbooks error 15106, The QuickBooks installer file becomes corrupt, or the user may not have the necessary permissions to upgrade Windows. All of the possible causes of QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 15106 are given here.
- You may have WebRoot antivirus software installed on your machine, which sees the QuickBooks installer as a possible danger and prevents it from running on Windows.
- QuickBooks Update Error 15106 might also occur if your user account does not have Windows administrator permissions.
- QuickBooks struggles to install all of the extra components that will be needed to upgrade the program and payroll later.
- QuickBooks update is being hampered by third-party antivirus or anti-malware software.
- The Desktop User Account Control settings are set to extreme, which causes the QuickBooks update to fail.
Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error 15106:
We have provided you with some solutions to troubleshoot the error code. Look out for the steps listed below.
- Administrator login:
- The server administrator may have placed limitations on the successful installation of any updates, especially QuickBooks.
- In a certain situation, right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select the Run as Administrator option in your tab, then confirm the admin ID and password to download the updates.
If you are able to resolve QuickBooks issue code 1506 using the above solution, you do not need to continue; otherwise, try option 2 where we have demonstrated an entirely alternative technique to resolving QuickBooks update error 1506.
- Shut Off the User Account Control:
It’s conceivable that the UAC is preventing the QuickBooks updates from being downloaded while it’s running behind the scenes. It’s best to turn it off before downloading the updates just to be cautious.
- Firstly, close your QuickBooks application and open the Run window, on your keypad and press Windows key + R.
- On the search bar type Control Panel and hit Enter.
- Tap User Accounts in the Control Panel window.
- After that, Change Account Control settings and hit Yes.
- Click OK to Never Notify.
- Now, restart your device, and install the updates.
- Shut the Anti-virus Software and rename the Folder:
It’s likely that your computer’s anti-virus software has flagged the download folder where the QB updates are saved as suspicious and rendered inaccessible. In this situation, renaming the folder will bypass the anti-restrictions viruses
- To open the Task Manager close QuickBooks and hit Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys at the same time.
- Search for anti-virus name in the Processes tab with the .exe file extension.
- Choose End Process by right-clicking
- .Open the Windows File Explorer.
- Folder name downloadqb19 or download20 will be shown right-click and rename.
- Before updating QuickBooks, a the end add OLD on the folder name.
- In Startup Mode Erase Install QuickBooks:
It’s possible that a third-party application is operating in the background and troubling with Payroll updates. An issue in one of QuickBooks’ program files might also cause the update process to fail. Follow the instructions below to clean install QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup mode to address both of these issues at once.
- Press the Windows key and the R key on the Run windows.
- Write Msconfig and hit Enter.
- When you enter, the System Configuration windows will open after which you must go to the General tab.
- To Load System services tap on Selective Startup.
- Meanwhile, hang the Services tab and tap on the Hide all Microsoft Services at the bottom of the page.
- Press Disable All.
- Now click again on the Hide all Microsoft services on the checkbox.
- Windows Installer must have a blue tick now against the checkbook.
- Restart your device by clicking OK.
- Once your device has restarted, go for a clean installation of the QuickBooks Desktop app.
- Tap on Normal Startup once the clean installation is completed. Follow the above first three steps and hit the Normal Startup button.
- Finally, after all the steps are done Restart your computer and hit OK.
- Rename QB Update Folder After Turning Off the Antivirus
Well, the above provided 4 solutions would surely help in fixing the issue. But, if the error is still there, then make sure to conduct the steps below to rename the QuickBooks folder after turning off the antivirus.
- First thing first, try to access the Windows Task Manager.
- Thereafter, hit Ctrl + Shift + ESC buttons.
- The user is required to move towards the antivirus service.
- Now, perform a right-click on the same.
- Make sure that you select the End Task button.
- After there, choose Yes
- With the help of Windows File Explorer, head towards the QuickBooks installation folder.
- If you cannot find the folder then head towards C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components folder.
- Once done, try to find out the folders downloadqb20 and downloadqb19.
- Perform a right-click on the same and choose the Rename button.
- Moving on, try to add OLD as an extension.
- Thereafter, proceed with the QuickBooks update.
- Once the procedure is completed, try to see if the issue is fixed or not.
- Clear WebRoot Spyware Sweeper
This is the last solution that we are offering. As WebRoot Spyware Sweeper sees the QB installer as a threat. So, we try to remove it from the device. You can reinstall it again once the error is fixed.
- Move towards the Start tab.
- Choose Control Panel thereafter.
- Now, tap the tab named Add/Remove Programs.
- Make sure that you double-click on WebRoot.
- From there, choose Uninstall and Remove button.
- To uninstall the antivirus software, choose Uninstall.
- Aftermath, Tap Next.
- Go through the steps carefully and try to delete the application.
- Now, you need to restart the system.
- Once done, initiate the installation of QuickBooks updates.
- If the error is fixed then reinstall the software to fight against all the possible threats and malicious programs.
In this post, we have looked deep into the most common error affecting QuickBooks. Another error you can face is Quickbooks error 15241. Such an error occurs when the user tries to update the QuickBooks function or payroll. We believe that the post will solve your error issue and the reader will be able to understand and resolve it on their own.