What to Do After a Construction Site Accident

If you or someone else you know has been injured on a construction site, you might not be mentally and physically stable enough to make decisions for yourself. In this case, an attorney can help you determine whether you can sue for any injuries that you have sustained in the workplace. 

Before you call a lawyer, you should visit a doctor and start getting treatment for your injuries as health should be a priority. If a doctor says that your severe injuries will make you miss work and you have medical bills piling up, then you should certainly call in for a lawyer. 

You might be confused about how to recover lost wages and pay the medical bills. Read this article to find out what you should do in case of a construction site accident. 

How to Determine Liability For the Accident

Depending upon how you were injured on the construction site, some parties can be held liable for your injuries. You can hire a construction site or real estate attorney to determine if a third party was involved in your injury after evaluating the case. 

Here are some third parties that can be held liable for your construction site injury.

Property Owners

If the worker was performing some repair work, it is possible to get injured because the property owner did not ensure safety measures. Wet floors are the most common cause of fall accidents and the property owner can be held liable.

Product Manufacturers

Sometimes, a worker gets injured when working with a machine or tool that was not made properly. So it is possible to file a product liability claim.


The architect or engineer in charge may be responsible for creating a faulty construction plan. The worker might be injured just because he was required to follow an incorrect plan then the architect can be held liable for injuries. 

Steps to Take After the Accident

You may be unsure of what to do after a construction site accident. Here are some steps to make the process easier for you. 

Notify Your Employer

After the accident, you or your colleague can notify the employer or immediate supervisor. It is best to report the accident in writing to leave behind a paper trail so that it can be used as evidence.

Seek Legal Advice

It is best to work with a personal injury attorney who can get you the compensation that you deserve. They will carefully review your case and gather the necessary evidence and negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf.  

File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

You will be entitled to a workers’ compensation claim if you are hurt due to the negligence of the company in which you are employed. With the help of your lawyer file the claim as soon as possible to receive the benefits and recover from your lost wages and medical bills.  

Get Treated for the Injuries

You need to get adequate treatment for your injuries, as some are not easily detectable. Getting treated routinely will also make sure that you have the medical record with you to use as a piece of evidence when filing your claim.